30 Days of Truth - Day 24

Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs. (Just post the titles and artists and letter)

I know you thought that I wasn't really listening whilst you tried to inculcate a love of "proper" music in me. And I know you thought I would stay stupidly stubborn for ever. Ha! Just shows what the passing of years can achieve. Drip drip is not only a form of water torture you know. And now look, only 40 something years later and I do actually love much of it ... my top ten are below. So ... I'm all ready for Desert Island Discs should they ever make that call (ha ha).

Sibelius - The Tempest

Elgar - Cello Concerto in E minor

Camille Saint-Saëns - Carnival of the Animals (The Swan)

J S Bach - Goldberg Variations (Glenn Gould)

Chopin - Nocturne in E flat major Op 9 No. 2

Handel - Messiah (Amen)

Dvorak - Moravian Duets

Bach - Brandenburgh Concerto (No. 5 i:Allegro)

Vivaldi - Harp Concerto in D

Tomás Luis de Victoria - Obra: Motete Magnum Mysterium

I could go on Mum ... and on and on. Such a wealth of music out there for us still to enjoy. Not long now until we're off to see Il Travatore!!! See you friday.

Much love, Jocelyn xx

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jos....what a gorgeous post! A loving tribute to your wonderful Mum - and to you....for in the end, your ears and heart opened... a magnificent list! Many favourites of mine are here - including the passionate Elgar Cello Concerto. (Have you seen the film "Hilary and Jackie"? If note you should..)
    Adore Bach's "Goldman Variations" - and NO ONE can play them like the late Glenn Gould. (My Mum introduced me to him too!) In fact, most of these are great favourites of mine! I did not know about the Tomás Luis de Victoria - Obra: Motete Magnum Mysterium.....just listened to it...wow - what a powerful piece. I now must dig a little deeper and hear what else he composed. Thank you for this introduction!

    Have a magnifico time at "Il Travatore"!!!!!
    A crazy plot - but listen to the AMAZING aria "Stride La Vampa sung by my favourite Mezzo - Dolora Zajick - on You Tube!

    A long comment I was carried away!

    Love,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete