It never hurts to have a think about stuff




The last few days have been sooooo busy. The festive season is nearly done and things will soon be back to "normal".

Yesterday was what we have come to know as Second Christmas. When my sister first came to live with us all those years ago now, she wasn't able to have her daughter on that first Christmas Day. Such a difficult time for her. Thus the plan for a second celebration day was hatched. It is now a tradition that has lasted 15 years in our family. Every year we arrange a day when most of people that we love and care about are free to come over. It's a different day each year but we designate that as second Christmas.

It's a day of laughter, present giving, eating (groan), and general merry making. By tradition the presents are small. This year for example I got a candy cane, the guide from a box of chocolates (no chocolate), a packet of sunflower seeds, a slip of paper with a joke on it, a pretty piece of ribbon, a crossword puzzle cut from a newspaper, a box of long cooks matches, a guitar pick, and a bookmark. Perfect.

And games ... we have games galore! Charades, murder, squeak piggie squeak, pass the bomb (my personal fave), football, trivial pursuit ... Oliver beat me at noughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe) for the first time ever. Another milestone.

So on to the new year and although I am not a great fan of resolutions I thought I might change that habit amongst others. After all, it never hurts to have a think about stuff ... or maybe it does.

Allegra continues to be seriously ill. There has been some improvement but it's impossible to know what the future holds. I continue to pray as I know do others.

8 comments:

  1. Noughts and crosses...another entry into my bi-lingual dictionary. Sounds like a great time. I love the small gifts. They remind me of Little Women.

    Love you Citrus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jos, what a joy to see a post from you! I love your second Christmas, so special and wonderful, as are the presents you received.
    Allegra is in my thoughts and prayers.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to have two Christmas's! We used to do that when we were younger and had several families to visit. Great post, Jos. May your new year be filled with love, joy, hope and good health. I'll remember Allegra in my prayers. xoxo

    Love & Blessings,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. a second christmas. i can decide whether i love or hate the idea :) but it certainly is a wonderful one for your family! it's nice to hear of so many different family traditions that brings that much needed closeness and love.

    love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the day that you have created! What a wonderful celebration, and all on your own terms, in your own way. The best kind. the truest kind.

    I wish you all the best in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I long for a day like that, the simple gifts kind of hurting my heart, for we all get too much here. Lovely lovely times, the best, it sounds.

    And yes, prayers.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. thinking thinking thinking of you, jos.
    i hope you know that.
    look slightly ahead or slightly behind because i'm right with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely you all come together this way. It's so hard when life get rocky, but what you have as a family, all this love for one another. Is beautiful.
    Thank you for coming over to my blog and leaving a beautiful message! Lovely to come and visit you and read this lovely post.
    Loads of love!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete