My first glimpse of Charlotte

I remember you every day
the awakening knowledge of you
my fear, and yet also joy
a fluttering inside, changing
the flittepy flop of movement

The realisation of you
with your tiny arms and legs
the blurry image of you
your shape upon the screen
your heart pippity papp

I saw you, your bum, your head
your teeny tiny nose
the perfection of your fingers
the sound of your heart beating
your life waiting

Indigestion, the need for a pee
oh god, am I really going to be
a mummy, a parent
a person to be relied upon
are you sure, is it to be

Every night awake feeling movement
an ever growing belly
a tenderness, milk filling
changing shape, making room
a growing excitement, anticipation

Making plans, drawing close
looking at your picture
thinking of all the possibilities
the person you might someday be
loving you, even now

And then pain, a flowing, bleeding
a rush as we try to get help
and then dark blankness, lost time
a holding of hands, a whisper of words
Charlotte is gone, she's an angel now

I try to hold on to that thought
as tight as I can
I search for your mourning
but it's buried deep inside you
a place I'm not allowed to go even now

I have a place like that too
buried deep within my heart
and Charlotte is there
growing, living, dying, transcending
becoming something more

Oh Charlotte I wish you'd been born
been allowed to breathe, to grow
to give me grief on a different level
I'd have waited up on graduation night
I'd have sat through your first heartbreak

Better that than the heartbreak
of losing you before having you
of seeing only a picture on that screen
of never holding you in my arms
of hearing of you from faceless blue suited people

I remember you every day
I think of the girl you might have been
the woman you might have become
the daughter I would have loved
if time had blessed me with your care

I named you Charlotte knowing
that had you grown
I'd always have called you my Charlie
so you could choose to be
blokey or not as the case might be.

6 comments:

  1. this is so so sad. is it you? or someone else? and how odd that she was charlie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at the scan photos of my friends baby yesterday and whilst feeling her joy was also remembering my Charlie, who would have been 16 this year. Life turns and you returned a whisper of Charlie to me when you sent that gift. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most heartfelt beautiful tribute to your child.

    Renee xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh love, i hurt in my chest with this, for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this just about broke me. I have two living children, and three I lost, three I mourn. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful in it's heart wretchingness.

    ReplyDelete