30 Days of Truth - Day 27

What’s the best thing going for you right now?

The best thing going for me right now is that I am in reasonably good health at the moment.

It's far too easy to take this for granted. I know it. So given that, I really don't understand why I find it so difficult to remain in a state of gratitude. I have a lot to be grateful for. I see so many people around me who either have had or are having unbelievably hard times ... healthwise, relationship-wise, family-wise, financially ... just life-wise really.

My problems, such as they are seem pretty insignificant in comparison. And yet it seems that my default mind-set is more inclined towards the negative than the positive. Why, when I can see how lucky I am, why do I persist in focussing on the few things that are not going so well rather than the multitude of things that are fine and dandy?

I allow this negativity to overshadow me. I allow it. Even when things are mostly fine, still in the back of my mind I am anticipating bad stuff happening. I think it's partly because there is an element of never really feeling safe. I am all too aware of the fragility of even the good things in my life. It's not good to live in dread what might never happen ... or even what might. Worrying changes nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Jos, I think most people feel this way, I did for most of my life until about 15 years ago, I started to retrain my mind, it takes work and time, but it can be done! And yes, worry still comes knocking, but not as often :-)as you know I am in a bit of a worry state over family matters right now, this post is a good reminder to me of what I know :-). Hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! We had a conversation just yestarday. Would you rather lose your sight or your hearing? (easy). Would you rather lose a limb than your hearing? (easy). Would you rather lose your sense of smell or your hearing? (easy). Wish all answers were so.

    Health is a big gift. I don't take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete