30 Days of Truth - Day 14

A hero that has let you down. (letter)

When I was a very small girl my hero was my father. I had no idea how badly that would turn out. I guess a lot of little girls idolise their dads.

The problem with heroes is that they are after all only human ... and perhaps the most amazing thing about heroes is that they are as human as the rest of us. It has taken me quite some time to stop expecting perfection from myself. I am glad at least that I learnt early on not to expect it of others.

These days I define heroism quite differently than I've done in the past. I look at people fighting their personal battles with grace and dignity ... I look at those who do much for others at great personal cost ... and I look at some who make the headlines in their field of endeavour for one reason or another. All flawed humans doing exceptional things. Not always perfectly, and not often recognised. To me this is the essence of heroism.

I have written letters to my dad. I've tried quite a few times over the years to mend our relationship. I won't stop trying. Some things are broken beyond repair but I live in hope that this is not entirely true here. I do accept though that I can't change anyone else, only try to better myself.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. We are all human and some of my heros were more human than others :-), but in the end it is about how we live our daily lives, how honest and real and giving we are. You my dear are right at the top.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Heroism is so much broader than I ever imagined. Bravery too, and sacrifice...and well..everything seems to be expanding for me. I am less narrow...my backside not withstanding :)

    ReplyDelete