30 Days of Truth - Day 13

A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)

I would have to pick Joan Baez for this one. For me she is not only an outstanding artist musically, but I admire her for her courage and determination to stand by her political views through good times and bad. I was privileged to go to her concert in a nearby town earlier this year and even now she has a voice that anyone would envy. She is aging well ... to the point of laughing on stage at forgetting the words to her own songs. It was without a doubt one of the highlights of my year going to see her and taking my mum along to share the experience.

My all time favourite album is 'Ring Them Bells' ... although it runs only a whisker ahead of 'Between The Lines' by Janis Ian. I could wax lyrical for hours about this album too. Again that mix of fabulous instrumentals intertwined with beautiful melodies and evocative words.

But Joan's album wins because not only does it showcase her own talent but has introduced me to the truly wonderful music of other artists as well. Outstanding amongst these is Dar Williams. Oh my, such a voice.

Just listen to this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIAVpM-D_A

When I have days where everything just piles in on top of me I retreat to the bathroom if it's at all possible. I run a tub of scalding hot water and put on a loop of 'Ring Them Bells' back to back with 'Between The Lines'. I let the music wash through me. It reminds me of beauty and the power of hope.

Shhh ... don't tell anyone will you? The bathroom is pretty much the only place where I "sing" out loud. Har har har.

So ... onto my letter ...

Dear Joan

You don't need me to tell you that you are awesome. You have a massive fan base, that should tell you more than any words I can ever write. You make my heart sing ... even on the bad days. This is no small thing. I hope your heart sings along with the songs you share with us all.

Warmest hugs from your 10 million-th and one fan. xx Jos

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful choices Jos, Joan is a hero for sure. For me it would be Jimmy Buffet and Joni Mitchell, though I find silence most wanted these days, or the waves of the ocean or bird song.
    Have a beautiful weekend, I sent your package yesterday, I treated you to priority since you were such a dear.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete