30 Days of truth - Day 7

Someone who has made your life worth living for.

My sister.

She is my all time best friend. We are only 15 months apart in age so we've been close pretty much all of our lives. We are total opposites, she is blond, blue eyed, tall, slim, fit, outgoing, party loving, disastrously disorganised, spontaneous, socially graceful, loving, laughing, fun to be with. Her strengths are too many to list and her weaknesses are outshone completely by everything else. I love her to the moon and back and always have.

She shares her life with me in an extraordinarily unselfish way. She lets me in and tells me stuff that's hidden in her heart. We have shared many of life's joys and sorrows together. When we were young we promised to always help each other and that is exactly what we've done. She asks for help when she needs it and trusts in me to be there. I honour that trust and cherish it. It has taken me a long time to get to the point where I do the same with her, but that is not due to any fault on her part.

Only once have we argued to the point of falling out completely. For over a year we hardly spoke. I think it broke both our hearts to a degree. We both learnt a lot from that. Her daughter is a woman now with a home and man of her own. She calls me her second mum and sends me gifts on mother's day. My sister's youngest children are Oliver & William. They light my life in ways I can't describe. Her gentle man is next only to mine in my estimation. He helped to heal a deep hurt in my sister and I never forget that. He welcomes me at every visit with a hug and kiss. Our friendship is deeper than almost any other in my life.

Some years ago my sister was in need of refuge and came to live with us with her daughter. At the time we lived in a two and a half bedroom small terrace. It was quite an upheaval to re-arrange the place and our lives to make space for them. They stayed for nearly two years. Never once in that time did my gentle man ever utter a word of complaint which tells you a lot about this man of mine.



My very own gentle man Trevor.

He is also my best friend but in a different way. He is so english that he could act as the template for english-ness. That makes me smile. He gladdens my heart. Always. His hugs are the best medicine in the whole world ... and they are free! Over the years he has learnt to understand how important hugs are just in and of themselves. He is decent to the core of his being, a totally loyal lover & friend. He is honest and true. He loves so many things in life and often tells me new things of interest. Nature, music and science/technology are his main interests so you can imagine that he is rarely dull to chat with.

He is so smart that it's astonishing to me still, and he has the most amazing powers of concentration. He can absorb stupendous amounts of technical information and is often to be found buried in technical bulletins/books. He has learnt not to overwhelm me with with too much detail in one go! He is a mad professor cunningly disguised as my husband. In his next life he is going to rival Richard Feynman or Isaac Newton ... perhaps even DaVinci, who knows.

He plays lots of rock / folk instruments so our home is often filled with music ... sometimes friends and music together which is just the best thing out. We have hard times just like anyone else. Distance grows between us sometimes but we find our way home in the end. Over time I have learnt that mind reading is an impossible thing to expect of anyone which makes things a lot simpler between us. I love Trev to the moon and back and always will.

Even after so many years together there are still some things I will tell my sister that I won't tell Trev. But the same is true vice versa so that is fair I guess.

There are many other people in my life that I love and cherish. These two though ... well these two make my life worth living and I will not choose between them.

3 comments:

  1. Darling Jos, this is such a wonderful post. What a lucky woman you are! Surrounded by such love.
    P.S. Your spoon is reserved! Don't be too hard on Trevor about the email :-).
    Love you,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well! I am so behind ( I WILL catch up!) so what a terrific topic to find here tonight . I am quite comforted to be certain you have two wonderful people who love you, who you love, who watch your back and soothe your heart.

    Make a deal with me for 2011 jos. Can you guess what I would like that to be? Hint: No more sadness!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, when I worry of you, I will worry just a little less. Beautiful people.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete