30 Days of Truth - Day 6

Something you hope you never have to do.

Oh my ... so many things spring to mind here. On a purely selfish note above all else I hope I never have to cope with a long / painful / debilitating illness. There are so many other lesser things that I hope never to have to do but I really don't care to list them. None compare anyway.

I hesitated to write this here today. Seems kind of funny maybe after writing some of the stuff I have over the last few weeks. It can be quite a challenge to open ones heart that's for sure.

The thing is I have some truly lovely people in my life both here through blogging and elsewhere who are going through illnesses of both a serious and less serious nature. It seems insensitive to say I dread having to cope with the very things they are having to face up to. Only this week a good friend of mine heard that she has ovarian cancer. The start of a new and uncertain journey for her. One where I will try to walk by her side as much as she will let me. How I hate cancer.

This serves to remind me yet again to be thankful, to live in the moment as fully as I can ... and to laugh more at my good fortune. I am so lucky.

Speaking of gratitude ...

This morning I was awake well before 5am listening to the cricket on the radio. I am a massive cricket fan. The Ashes series is on at the moment. For me this is the Wimbledon of the cricket season. Anyway someone on the commentary team said something quick and witty. There I was curled up under my duvet giggling like no-ones business at this guys humour. When was the last time I laughed first thing in the morning? I can't remember. Such a simple pleasure and yet it didn't feel simple at all. It felt profound ... like an internal shift is really under way again and I am so grateful for that.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

5 comments:

  1. To laugh is profound! I feel the very same way when I get a laugh, it is too rare for all of us these days. I hate cancer too and that would probably be my answer to this question. But you are right to stay in the moment, that is the very best place to be. I hope you find joy there more than pain. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound indeed! I am there with you in that laugh! Curled up and feeling fine! Yeah for commentators!

    (but Cricket thought? really? *wink wink*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, dear Jos.... you ARE truly a brave woman to take this challenge and write so openly and honestly. Not many could do this.

    Cancer..... the word is so dreadful....(I feel sorry for the people born under the astrological sign of "The Crab"....). These days, one thinks of the disease before the "sign". I, too, have two very close friends who are struggling this "monster"....

    As for "giggling" .....well, nothing makes one feel better than a good laugh! It gives one an "instant high"..... doesn't it? Last night, I watched a very old comedy - "The Court Jester", starring Danny Kaye....I laughed so much - and out loud too...I ended up crying! (I can't tell you the last time I cried tears of laughter!) I am glad you had that moment...and I hope that now you are freeing yourself from these bonds of sadness and guilt, you will laugh more feely and more often!

    Hugs from "across the pond",

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughter is healing, a balm. You sound great, Jos, and I'm so glad. Speaking as one who lives with chronic pain daily, I can tell you that it, too, can be a blessing. In our weakness, we find strength.

    Love & Blessings,

    ~Marion

    "At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities." ~Jean Houston

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shift away dear Citrus. You grow only more vivid as you open your heart and share. Feels good don't it?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete