A coldish day at the office















This prolonged adolescence is coming to an end
thankfully I need not adjust my many abnormalities
as I am segueing quite nicely and without interruption
into what we euphemistically like to call 'the change'
which might be considered a bit of a blessing really
coming hard on the heels of baby steps into adulthood
so perhaps once I'm through this I might eventually
settle into something resembling normal grown up-ness

In the meantime I now have carte blanche to misbehave!

Isn't getting older fun? No, not today it sodding well isn't
can we open the darn window please it's too hot in here
all the men around me jump to it, overly eager to oblige
which tells you not so much that they are well trained
although I permit myself some small satisfaction on that score
clearly though I have been a less than a cheery manager of late
to such an extent that even the more moronic outer fringes
have become aware of this now not so secret alteration

This strange inner altercation with outward ramifications
soothed only by an endless stream of earl grey tea
and kind words regarding the minor gale blowing
through the office orifices or is it orifi I wonder
I can't seem to keep a straight thought in my head today
and don't get me started about the trips to the loo
I am thinking of setting up a second office in there
which would be wholeheartedly seconded by my team

Oh well I suppose we all have to grow up sometime
it's such a shame we have to grow old on the outside though
wouldn't it be more sensible if we just turned inside out instead
which would save all that ferreting about in the darker corners
of our psyche in search of our much vaunted inner child
but then I've come to believe that this prolonged adolescence
may well be due to an overly active inner child in the first place
how else to explain the various idiosyncrasies of this mid-life woman?

5 comments:

  1. Oh Jos, I am in my 3rd year of growing up and I have not liked it at all! Motherwort helps with the hot flashes also sticking ones head in the freezer is ever so wonderful :-). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that would be a good blog name. Idiosyncrasies of the Mid-Life Woman. I'd be happy to guest post :)

    Love to you Citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do ya really think we have to grow up? I'm 50ish (tee-hee) and I still don't even know what I want to be when (if) I grow up. xoxo

    Love & Blessings,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think women become less "nice" as they grow older, more willing to speak their mind, less willing to conform, to put up with bullshit. And there is a lot of bullshit in the world.

    "Idiosyncrasies of the Mid-Life Woman", I like that very much as well. Pretty much sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orifii, very elegant, I like it. And the idea of turning oneself inside out to find that pesky inner child... like the TV remote down the back of the sofa :)

    ReplyDelete